Sunday, May 06, 2007

Step by Step - the art of Umbrella Academy

The Free Comic Book Day was yesterday and I hope lots of people have got their copies of the Umbrella Academy comic. I know I still don't have mine. Anyway, I hope people like it, because I'm really having a great time working on that book.

I decided to show some steps of the production of the pages here, now that I can actually show the pages.



1- Layouts. This is what I do to show to editor Scott Allie and writer Gerard Way. The approve or ask for changes, make suggestions, then I can show them only the final inked version of the page. I make the layouts very small and I don't enlarge and print them like some people do. When I go to pencil the page, I keep the layout next to me and do everything again. A lot of times it is very hard to get the same emotion, movement and expression I got on the layouts when I'm translating it to the big page, but I always end up getting it.



2- Inking. After I pencil everything, sometimes with more or less detail, depending on lighting, planes, whatever, I ink the page. BLACK AND WHITE RULES!



3- Colors. When I'm done, I send the pages to Dark Horse and they send it to Dave Stewart, who does MAGIC on them with colors. People know me for not being happy with color jobs over my pages, but I'm so glad with Dave's work. I could not imagine someone better for the task.

So, let's go back to the drawing board, because lots of Umbrella pages still await me.

8 comments:

Mike Wieringo said...

I am SOOOOO looking forward to this book....!

Your work on CASANOVA was brilliant-- and this looks just as fantastic-- and it's in color!

Allie Marie Photography said...

I picked up Umbrella Academy on Free Comic Book Day and it looks amazing! Can't wait to see what's next!

How is it working with Gerard?

Kris Zullo said...

muito boa a página hein?

crazyluv4mcr said...

This is such a cool comic!
You did a great job on the art! Really you did!
I was kindof dissapoined when I learned Gerard wasnt doing the art, but he picked a great artist for the task.
Im a fan of his band and i havent been a comic fan, but this story is so great. I admire him even more than i did.
I cannot wait for the rest, I will be the first in line, again! to get the next issue!
Now, I just have to figure out what to tell my husband as to, WHY i am buying a COMIC. Hes gonna be like WTF??
but i have enough time to think of something! :D

Unknown said...

Your artwork is fantastic and I very much look forward to purchasing the series when it is released! Alas, I did not manage to snag a preview copy on Free Comic Book Day.

I am a children's librarian and also a fan of My Chemical Romance, the band Gerard Way is in, and I am very excited to add Umbrella Academy to our collection.

I have been reading graphic novels for a year now, mostly the work of Gaiman and Brian K. Vaughn. This is a fantastically innovative genre for young people and adults and I thank you for sharing your talent and accessibility with the fans. :-)

Corey Waits said...

I heard that they'd be colouring your inks and I rushed over to check it out.

I was thinking 'They'll ruin Gabriel's inks if they colour it!' but Dave Stewart knocked that out of the fucking park.

I'm NOT an MCR fan (quite the opposite really), I'm only here for the art... But hey, if Gerard sells me on his writing I won't be complaining.

Anonymous said...

You didn't even get a copy of the comic that you had a hand in on FCBD? I have an extra I'd be more than happy to give you if you can't get one.

Azazelo said...

I was thinking 'They'll ruin Gabriel's inks if they colour it!' but Dave Stewart knocked that out of the fucking park.

allergy usgab