Tuesday, March 06, 2007

The look



The comic book artist should always be looking at the world. Suspicious, if possible, searching what's behind the things we see. When we see a sad person, a building in ruins, a sick dog, those are the facts, the images, but beyond that there are reasons, unreasons and, above all, stories. The comic book artist watches the world looking for stories.

The artist should watch with his hands as often as possible. Have a notebook, a sketchbook, a bunch of small papers you keep in your pocket, anything to, at any given time, register your vision of the world, with the style of your hand. Nowadays, I take a lot of pictures, but it's not the same. I'm registering the image, but not my impression of said image. It's the camera's filter, not mine.



I'm getting to the end of the robot story, and already I like it. I finish one page and want to know what happens next, awakening in myself the reader of the story. This is the last week I'll have to work on it, and if I have only that to do the entire week, all will be fine. I'm always waiting bombs to fall off the sky delivering last minute jobs, so I never count on an entire free week to do comics.

Not yet, at least.

Soon.

1 comment:

Wardfolio said...

Cool Stuff Guys!